Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Break



Time is something we all love to waste. 
I don't know about you, but I am a procrastinator. I won't deny it. At times, I admit that I can be downright lazy. I am really good at wasting time and making excuses to not do the things I need to be doing. 

A couple weeks ago, I wrote a post about how I have been feeling about the internet and social media. I posted that not to say that I no longer want to blog, or delete my Facebook account in complete rage and hatred of all social media. I wrote it to express how I am feeling about it. 

While sitting at church a couple Sundays ago, I felt convicted about my time. I felt convicted about my envy and jealousy. 
I felt truly convicted that life is not wrapped up in this tiny square screen. So, why do I spend so much TIME sitting in front of it.
 My life is around me and I am letting it pass me by as I sit here looking at other peoples lives and feeling lesser than...

I decided to take a break from all of this. For one week, I was not going to look at Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and specifically no Blogs. 

That week, I felt blessed. I started to read more. I read my Bible more (still not as much as I would like, but more is better than none!) I started reflecting on what God wants from my life. I started to think about the direction HE wants me to go in my career. (this is another post for another time...) 

 the weather started to change and the sun came out (something we haven't seen much of here in Michigan the past few months). I spent time outside. Millie and I went on walks, we spent time at the puppy park, we baked, we cooked, we spent time in real conversations with long lost friends. 

This is what I wanted. I wanted purposeful, loving conversations with the people I love. I wanted time to myself. I wanted a clear mind. I wanted to stop feeling like I wasn't good enough. I wanted to stop feeling like my apartment wasn't cute enough,  that my body wasn't good enough, that I didn't cook enough, or that my life wasn't as good as the others surrounding me. 


Another issue was Matt and I. I found that (like most couples I see out and about), Matt and I would spend "time" together, but we would be on our computers, or looking at our iPhones. That week Matt and I had more time together in actual conversation rather than looking at social media.

This is something I encourage every one to do. You don't have to give up all of it all together. Just cut out some time that you spend... think about making a phone call to a friend you haven't talked to in a long time, or use the time to do something special for the one you love. 

Spend some time outside... taking in God's great creation. 





1 comment:

  1. Wow, I feel you. I'm very, very new to blogging and I already feel a little anxiety over whether my blog is "good enough" or will ever be "popular enough". And then there's Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, blah. Every day I tell myself to open my bible first. Not even my bible, mind you, my bible app. Why should I have to REMIND myself to do that? It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete